Sunday, February 24, 2013

Neapolitan Cupcakes inside Ice Cream Cones

This week I have a lot of homework to do. Therefore I have a lot to procrastinate on. I was also indecisive on what kind of cupcake I wanted to make, so I ended up with neapolitan. I had a special helper this week, who was my official taste tester (and graciously let me destroy her kitchen and let me use all of her dishes.)

This week I decided to focus on more of the visual aspect of my creation, since I was 98% sure that my cupcakes were going to taste delicious.

Anyway, here's the recipe for this week. :)

Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 15 - 20 minutes
Total Time: ~ 1 hour
Oven Temp: 350°


Now, I made this with 3 cake mixes. I'm sure you could split up one vanilla cake mix, (or do any flavor you want) but I was feeling like an ambitious procrastinator.

Ingredients:


  • 1 box Betty Crocker Vanilla Cake Mix
  • 1 box Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake Mix
  • 1 Box Betty Crocker Strawberry Cake Mix
  • 2 boxes (24/box) ice cream cones
  • 2 cans cream cheese frosting (not the whipped kind) 
  • McCormick Neon food coloring
  • Sprinkles
  • 9 Eggs
  • 1.5 c oil
  • 3 c water
  • Pastry Bag (If Desired)
My official taste tester, Katie
Prepare all of the mixes in separate bowls, per the directions on the box. (like I said, this one isn't too hard) I wanted to add a little more pink color to my strawberry batter, so I put 7 drops of food coloring in, and mixed it up really well.
The inside... I thought it
looked kinda cool. :)
Put your ice cream cones in a cupcake pan. Put the vanilla batter in the cones first. (Make sure you leave enough room for the other 2 batters, so that the cones are only 2/3 full.) Then add the strawberry batter, and finally the chocolate.
Put them in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
Let them cool completely before frosting. 

Now, when I frosted these guys, I used an 'organized chaos' method. I just swirled it around all over to give it a little resemblance to ice cream, and added some sprinkles for fun.

That's it! A fun and simple way to make cupcakes that look way more complicated than they actually are. :) Come back next week for a cupcake with a little springtime inside. 

No comments:

Post a Comment