Wednesday, April 10, 2013

What was supposed to be an Easter post turned into an early April post. :)

So I've been pretty upfront about being a master procrastinator. I successfully procrastinated, and baked cupcakes last week  two weeks ago, like I always do. But, I completely forgot to post them.... Whoops...

To be honest, my professional procrastination has caught up to me, and school has taken precedence. :/

BUT! I will bake cupcakes this weekend, if it means using a textbook as a place to rest my batter-covered spatula.

Anyway....

My family had a get together for Easter, and I got put in charge of baking cupcakes.
I wanted to do something fresh, fun, and not 'Easter-y.'


My (awesome) roommate got me this Wilton cupcake book to further expand my knowledge, so I decided it was only fitting to choose my recipe from there. :)

As per usual, I couldn't just follow the recipe. I made my own little tweaks to make what I thought would be a great cupcake.



Fruit Tart Cupcakes 


Oven Temp: 350°
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 18-20 minutes
Total Time: ~ 1.5 Hours

Cupcake Ingredients:

  • 1 Box Betty Crocker French Vanilla Cake Mix
  • Eggs, Water & Oil to prepare mix
  • Cupcake Liners
  • Cupcake Pan
Pastry Cream Ingredients:
  • 6 T granulated sugar
  • 1/4 c. flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 c. milk
  • 4 Egg Yolks
  • 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
  • 2 T. unsalted butter.
  • Pastry Bag
Topping Ingredients:
  • Strawberries, sliced
  • Blueberries
  • Kiwi, sliced & peeled
  • Whip Cream
  • Pastry bag


Additional Items Needed:

Cupcake Corer: 
This was an impulse buy at Walmart. I don't think it was more than a couple bucks.
It is perfect for a filled cupcake like this. Otherwise, you can just cut a hole with a knife.



Anyway... on to the baking...

Cupcakes:

Prepare the cake mix according to the box. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, and let cool completely.

Once the cupcakes are cooled, you can cut your holes out for your filling.

Pastry Cream:

In a small saucepan, combine sugar, flour, and salt. Whisk in egg yolks and milk until combined. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a spoon until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter.

Pour mixture into a bowl, and press plastic wrap down onto the surface of the pastry cream to prevent it from forming a skin.
Place in fridge until chilled, or ready to use.

Toppings: 
Slice strawberries & kiwis. Keep refrigerated until used.

Assembly:

Using a pastry bag, fill the 'holes' in your cupcakes, plus a little extra. Spread the 'extra' around on the top of the cupcake, making sure it is even.

Place a kiwi slice on each cupcake. Then, with a pastry bag, put a little bit of whip cream on top of the kiwi. Then arrange the strawberries and blueberries as you like.
Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.

There you have it!

Again, I apologize for the very late post, and will be back at the baking this weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment